Christmas and New Years Eve is just around the corner and you must be excited for the holidays and some of you might also be planning a vacation. But before you leave for one with your family, it’s crucial for you to keep in mind the security and safety of your home or other properties.
So, if you are planning to go out for a few days or a week, make sure your home is secure from any potential break-in. Here we have a few tips that may help you with the same:
- Telephone Ringer: Make sure the volume of the telephone ringer is turned down so that anyone from outside the house can’t hear it ringing for long periods of time.
- Door and Windows: Make sure all the doors and windows are properly locked and well maintained.
- Alarm System: Use a good quality alarm system to keep your home safe from any potential break-in by the burglars. Make sure the alarm system is kept on when you are leaving for the vacation and place a signboard about the same in front of your home to discourage the burglars.
- Sensor Lights: Make sure the sensor lights at the exterior are kept on. Timers for lights and radio are set to turn on and off in different rooms at times that match night and day patterns so the casual observer thinks someone is home.
- Vehicles: Make sure all the vehicles that you are leaving at the home are kept safe and secured and their respective keys should also be kept secure.
- Power Supply: Ensure to disconnect the power supply to the door of the electric garage and the door connecting the garage and your home is locked properly.
- Cancel deliveries: Make sure to cancel the deliveries to the house, for example, newspapers or other everyday subscriptions. This will not let the stuff to pile up in the porch of your home again indicating that you were not home for many days.
- Social media: Don’t announce every single detail on social media by writing a post or sharing too many family pictures especially if nobody is home. Thieves can get a fair amount of idea from your travel posts from social media and this might give them a fair chance to break in while you are out.
- Arrange for a trusted neighbor: Ask a trusted friend, neighbor or any relative to keep a check on your home while you are away for a few days with your family. This will ensure that you enjoy your time with family well without any worries about your home security.
- Don’t hide keys outside: Make sure you don’t leave an important key to your house hidden in the usual hiding places in order to keep your home safe. Burglars have a fair amount of idea about your moves especially when they are keeping their eyes to break into your property.
In the end, stay safe and keep your home extra safe using the above safety tips before you plan a vacation with your family.